Monday, March 14, 2011

Gryphon - Work in Progress


It has been a while since I have done this type of post, so I am glad to be putting this one up. I like to show the process so those learning or interested in felting can see how I get from start to completed doll. I have started a project I have put off for a wee while and am glad to finally be working on it.

The gryphon is a mythical beast that has the body of a lion and head and wings of an eagle. I've been wanting to tackle this but it always gets put to the back burner. No excuses now...here we go!


As I do with larger pieces, I started with a wire armature. Getting the body shape and proportions down are key.


Next, I flesh out the body with a core of washed wool. This is firmly felted.


The body shape is where I want it to be. Now I add colour and detail.


So far in the right direction. I broke the tail...pipecleaners do not make good armature material as they are a bit flimsy. I have reinforced the tail with 22 gauge wire and will add an additional tail piece once the body is completed.


Here are the wings I will be using for the gryphon. They are premade wings that I have modified to suit my purpose. I used them to define the proportions of the gryphon.

More to come! I hope to have it completed in the next 2 weeks. Keep checking back for updates...

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails